Friday, June 29, 2007

9 months - what hip problem?

This may become a little redundant after a point, but did I mention how happy I am with the results of my hip resurfacing?

Over the the past 10 days I:
* played in 5 soccer games, including 3 in one day
* played pickup basketball for the first time since surgery
* did wind sprints and jogged with a friend 3 times
* did Vinyasa yoga twice (recommend it!)

My hip? No worries. I'm still icing it afterwards and taking ibuprofen, but the soreness is definitely less than it was with each passing month. My speed and flexibility are slowly returning too. I'm not saying I never notice it, but I am just so grateful to be able to participate in all of these activities again. I'm really more conscious of my conditioning than the hip at this point.

I guess the risk now is that I will take it too much for granted and engage in riskier activities (football, taking the big jumps on the mountain, ...) -- none of these things are recommended, but its hard to resist when everything else seems to be going so well.

There's also the inevitable question of the other hip -- there's really no significant pain on that side at this point, but I understandably get nervous whenever the groin gets tender on that side. I guess I'll have a better sense of where things stand on that front when I go for my 1 year checkup with Dr Gross. We'll do x-rays at that point and see if the cartilage had deteriorated much on that side.

That's it for now. Back to the field!

7 Comments:

Blogger Experts in Medical Tourism said...

Here is another hip resurfacing success story. This time done by Maurice Moreau from New Orleans, who went to Belgium:
http://www.worldmedassist.com/maurice_moreau_hip_resurfacing_testimonial.htm

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan,
I'm a 36 year old UK football, (soccer) player who's just had a left re-surface. It's been both facinating and encouraging to read your blog, (not too many 30 something males reporting on their experiences out there!).
Interested in your pre-op thought process, (do I really need this?) very similar to my own.
Anyway, just a quick thanks for sharing your experience, I'm hoping to be back playing by June this year so hope it goes as well as yours.

Regards,

Tom

3:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved this blog. I need to get resurfacing at age 41. I am about to go to Iraq as a Navy Doctor. I need to be able to run for my life. I was hoping to toak to Dan.
Quick history: Used to play basketball and rugby for the Marines. Had progressive left hip tightness and awkward gait. Eventually became tired with doctors diagnosing "hip flexor strains" ...I x-rayed myself to find the arthritis. Nobody believed me that I could have arthritis in the hip at age 38! This sucks. I want to talk to people who have had the resurfacing.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi. My name is Franjo, and I'm from Croatia. I was diagnosed with the coxarthrosis, and am considering hip resurfacing. At the age of 23 (I was born in 1985). Is there any way that I can contact you for more info on surgery? Gtalk, MSN or ICQ?

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found this blog...I am exactly 4 months post-op and I am doing well despite the occasional groin stabbing pain and some little stabs in my "butt". You never mentioned the butt pain, so maybe you don't hvae that! Anyhow, good to know you are snowboarding cause I hope to ski again next winter!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just wanted to share with anyone that stumbles on this blog and is looking into options for hip surgery this new website.

http://www.surfacehippyinfo.com/

It is filled with a ton of information on hip resurfacing with a lot of patient stories. There is a link back to this blog as well. Hopefully continuing to save one hip at a time! :-)

Vicky Marlow
Patient Advocate - Hip Resurfacing

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good to read this. I'm a 46 year old now about 10 weeks post op. still have kind of burning pain groin area. that sound familiar to anyone? overall i'm pleased with results, but i guess i thought it would be quicker. am i being impatient? how long till one is totally normal again?? thanks gina

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home