Thursday, October 05, 2006

10/5 One week post-op

Its been really great to see progress every day. I literally feel better each day that goes by. Last night I was able to sleep without vicodin and am considering going off of it entirely at this point because I really am feeling very little pain.

The main concern for me is trying to remember to follow my leg restrictions (don't bend knee past 90 degrees, don't cross legs, don't point toe inward) -- I've been trying very hard to be conscious of these things but the activities that happen during the course of a day and night sometimes push the boundaries. I had assumed that pain would be a guide but it really doesn't enter into the picture.

I do still have some inflamation and swelling around the scar, so I'm trying to keep it iced during the day, and am taking celebrex as prescribed. I've also got another 3 shots of Arixtra to give myself to guard against blood clotting -- but it feels like I've definitely made it through the next hurdle.

My friends have been great since I returned... I've had visitors every day, bringing me food and hanging out. All the attention is kind of nice. I feel a little funny about it because I am able to go out and wander down the street for supplies at this point, but I'm not complaining!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

Great to hear your post op is going so well.

Congrats!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sharI am Sharon Stacey from California , while listening to 60 minutes I heard about medical tourism and then started to search for the hospitals in Thailand, Philippines, UK and India , which can offer me hip resurfacing surgery. All what I wanted was an experienced surgeon with high success rate and other patients' experiences. My search got over when she read about Dr. Malhan, Sr. Joint Replacement Surgeon at Wockhardt Hospitals India. The surgeon who had performed more than 800 such surgeries.

I was amazed to find that a large number of uninsured Americans have chosen Wockhardt Hospitals and the website had a number of video testimonials of American, British and Canadian patients singing praises for the services and excellent medical outcome received at this world class hospital. Also I was impressed with the hospitals affiliation with Harvard Medical International based at Boston and also the fact the at the hospital meet the high standards set by the Joint Commission International of America, the same organization a part of JCAHO that accredits the top hospitals in US.

I was really excited and sent an email to Wockhardt Hospitals explaining my condition. To my surprise, I got a response within an hour and then started a series of email exchanges and telephone calls. Each of my numerous queries were answered promptly by the International Patient Coordinators at Wockhardt. They even provided me surgeon's and some past American patients mobile phone nos so that I could assure myself fully and then decide. The hospital helped me sort out all logistics like applying for Indian Visa, arranging airport pick up, bookings for room, surgery and gave me one package price for the whole service.

I took a flight of faith and landed at Mumbai, India. I was so happy to see a well dressed chauffeur standing with aboard with my name on it just as I stepped out of the airport. At the hospital I was settled in without fuss in a five star hotel like suite complete with a Computer connected to Internet, A large TV with all Cable channels, Gourmet food service and everyone from doctors, nurses to guest relations personnel …all speaking good English and made me feel at home in this place thousands of miles away from home.

The surgery went off very well and I recovered pretty soon. I was very delighted with the quality of care , surgeon's skills and the kindness of the staff.

It is going to be new chapter and a new life for me. I will be grateful for the kindness, skill , efficiency and the variables that went in giving me the best treatment, A no1 first class treatment that has put me where I am today.

Sharon

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home