Friday, September 29, 2006

9/29 two days post op

I've been discharged from the hospital and am resting comfortably in my hotel room. I was able to complete the next two physical therapy sessions with no problem -- first one was simply walking part way down the hallway and back, but this morning I was able to go up and down a staircase, walk down the hallway and back on a single crutch. Its exciting to be up on my feet and moving around. There really isn't that much pain as long as you don't twist your leg the wrong way by accident. The basic rules are: "don't cross your legs, don't turn your toe inward, and don't raise your knee past 90 degrees" - got to maintain these rules for 6 weeks.

Sleeping on night #2 was a little more difficult. I think I was less exhausted than the day before after being mostly sedentary all day. I was also less comfortable as the heavy duty pain killers began to wear off. In the end I needed a sedative in order to finally fall asleep around 1am. I was woken up a few times during the night for basic tests of heart rate and temperature, as well as a blood draw for my final lab work. I woke up when breakfast arrived about 8:30am.

I was discharged after successful physical therapy. Dr. Gross' assistant Lee Webb met with me and told me that the surgery had gone "perfectly" and that she was really optimistic for my recovery.

Going forward I will need to take Vicadin and Celebrex (anti-inflamatory) for the next 10 days, as well as administering a shot to myself of Arixta (to prevent blood clotting).





















Ready to go!Hanging out at the hotelExercise in the hallDad is a lifesaver

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the surgery was a success. Good luck with the recovery.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home